Crochet is my new thing lately.
12 years ago or so, my dear Mother-in-Law started to crochet some baby blankets for my twin boys who were on the way at the time. She taught me how, but I was very clumsy at it and soon put it away. Then, my dear Sister-in-Law sent me some hand crocheted stockings for Christmas for all three of my kids that to this day we still use. My kids know that they were made for them and it makes them so much for special knowing that they were handmade...both the blankets and the stockings. And they're beautiful.
So, I picked my crochet back up and determinedly kept practicing until I could do it a little more smoothly. All my projects have been afghans...with big stitches and patterns that went pretty fast and basic. I'll show pictures of those another time. Finally, I was ready for something not so basic. But I didn't know what. That is until my dear Mother came to visit for New Year's Eve.
We were visiting around the coffee table with iced drinks when my mother asked for a coaster. Always so practical and proper, that Mother of mine. I was embarrassed that I didn't have any. Especially since we were gathered around a beautiful wooden coffee table that she had given us. I was mostly embarrassed, not that I didn't have any, but because I had never thought of getting any to protect her beautiful coffee table.
So, the next day, I found a pattern online: this pattern, but when I got to the craft store, I was disappointed to find out that the size yarn they called for was not available, nor the size hook...I guess they are exclusive to that particular company. So, I had to improvise. Using my inexperience as my guide, I went ahead and got the crochet thread that was available...just the typical 100% mercerized cotton...which is smaller than that called for by about half...and I made up for it with a little larger hook (2.75mm) to get them to be an acceptable size. Here's the result:
Not bad at all! I was pleasently suprised. Of course I had to look up on You Tube what the heck a magic loop was. The coasters turned out thin and lacey...which isn't a bad thing... but I was concerned that I wanted something a little more substantial. So, as I do with my afghans that I've made, I used two strands of string together...and ended up with this:
Beautiful! I was very pleased! Here they are side by side so you can see the difference:
Same hook size, just worked one strand of thread on the left, and two strands on the right. Both are very pretty! I think anyway. So thanks Mom! I have pretty new coasters now...and I sent some to you too. :)



These are awesome!! I'm becoming crochet crazy lately too :) the blue and white ones make me think of snowflakes. Love it :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Erin! I feel unworthy after seeing some of your beautiful work. You inspired me, so thanks!
ReplyDelete