Boy, I'll tell you what...since I made the switch to day shift from nights back in January, I have come to understand just how much free time I DON'T have.
When I worked nights, I was seldom able to sleep until very early in the morning, even on my days off.. So what did I do? I worked on my writing projects. Studied the stars with my cool iPhone app. Went grocery shopping (which by the way, about 5:00 in the morning is the perfect time to go...no crowds and all the stocking is done. Same with going to Walmart.) I did my movie-watching, watched my recorded TV shows, folded laundry, cleaned my house as much as I could without making a lot of noise. And my favorite...I read A LOT of books.
Now, I don't so much have all that time anymore...especially now that it's summer. I get up with the kids most of the time and they are with me from that time until bedtime and usually I go to bed too. No alone time whatsoever.
Now, now...don't get me wrong. (And I know you are probably saying, "Yeah, welcome to life. That's what Mom's do!) I'm not regretting my decision to come to the day shift at all! In fact, this is what I wanted! This is what I missed! Life! I love it! I love that my kids are attached to me morning and night. I should have been there for them when they were toddlers, babies! (Unfortunately, I was sleeping.) I wouldn't miss a moment of this and I'm drinking it in like a refreshing cold drink in the hot summer sun. It's completely soul-filling...for me AND them.
It just takes me forever to read a book these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment