Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Website for Readers

I had a friend on Facebook recommend this site to me a few weeks ago and I have had a wonderful time messing around with it. It is the same website that I get my widgets that display my favorite books on the right side of this blog. If you're a reader you may like to check it out.

http://www.shelfari.com/

I like it because you can list all the books that you've read including details down to the very edition and specific cover. It then presents all your books in a colorful, fun display of every book cover in your collection that you can tweak and make it look just the way you like. By clicking each book, you can access all sorts of information as well as log when you read it and what you thought of it, rate it, etc. You can ask for recommendations for books to read, read reviews, write reviews (I like to pretend my opinion counts for something), and join groups that enjoy the same things you enjoy. Like other social networking sites, you accumulate friends with whom you can compare, look at their "shelves," read what they thought of their books, etc. It goes on and on.

I'm becoming more and more of a book freak, even though I remain somewhat of a slow reader. Its a good outlet for me. I tell my kids that reading makes you smart, and I believe that with all my heart. I'd like to think that they are all three high readers because of my own enthusiasm about reading. I've read with them since they were babies and it has become an everyday activity for all of us. Its important for kids to see their parents reading for enjoyment, too. (Thanks, Mom for doing this for me.)

Anyway, go and visit the website. It's addicting.

If you'd like, go directly to my "shelf."
www.shelfari.com/janettel/shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails