Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2008

15 minutes

We got through it! The boys and I worked together and finished a school project (X2). We "manufactured" 75 little craft projects (total 150) for their economics unit that they are completing this week. We cut, sewed, filled, and packed it all up; and the boys were so excited about their finished "products" that they would now have to market and sell to their classmates. Wow, I don't remember ever studying economics in 3rd grade...school is different nowadays. First new math, and now this.

All right, so what's next? Christmas with the Long side of the family...wonderful time. Everything was beautiful and special. It was so important to me, but it was all I could do to get the sleep I needed to be congenial. Sleep? Not with the shopping that needed to be done, the packaging, the cooking... I loved doing it all, don't mistake me! Working nights, I've learned that its never too late at night to go out and shop! And I couldn't forsake the housework...well... I have to set priorities. And then its right back to work for three 12-hour shifts of pure chaos.

I stumbled into the house this morning after working all night and it wasn't until then that my children reminded me of the day of the week: Saturday. Oh my...the kids are out of school for Christmas break! Their Christmas parties were yesterday! I didn't even remember until it had already been over for an entire day! What kind of mother does that? No presents for their teachers. No treats made for their parties. Luckily my dear husband had remembered...he sent bagged Christmas candy with Andrew. He saved the day.

Completely defeated, I said to Andrew, "Your party was yesterday!"
"Yeah." he replyed numbly.
"Did you feel bad that you didn't have a present for your teacher?" I asked with regret and guilt. I had already missed the "Parents' Economic Night" the evening before due to having to be at work. Again, Dad saved the day and was there.
He grimaced for a moment contemplating his answer, "Well, this year she actually opened them at the party."
"Really?" I said, feeling sick to my stomach.
"Yeah," he went on, "but she liked the chocolate I brought for the class."

Bless his little heart.

How in the world do other mothers do it? Their houses are emaculate. Their children are clean and pressed. They do all the committees, all the parties, work, cook, entertain, and maintain an attractive body weight, and never disappoint their children! I feel like I can't even keep my head above water sometimes. Even though I doubt that the kids will be permanently damaged by not having gifts for their teachers, I have to wonder about the example I'm setting for my children.

How can I teach them to be organized when its something that I myself struggle with every day? (OK, that's hard to just come out and admit.) I am contantly having to explain why they have to clean their rooms while my own looks like a hurricane came through. It hit me one day, I have to do it too!

So, I have to be honest with my children: Mom is learning how to be organized just like you are. We'll learn it together.

One of my favorite web sites is Flylady.net. She advises that "...you can do anything for 15 minutes." What she is talking about is that no matter how big your project is, or how messy your house is, or how much you really don't want to clean that bathroom, just do it for 15 minutes and then take a break. Work on it for 15 minutes at a time and don't be overwhelmed by the entire task. I was skeptical at first, but I'm finding some success in this approach.

So, 15 minutes at a time, my children and I will make changes in our lives...and I can pray that in spite of me, the Lord will help my children to learn good habits...and not follow the example that I sometimes set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails