Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Music Education

I was sitting at the computer today with my daughter browsing through iTunes listening to some old music from my high school days and came across Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue. When I played a sample of it my daughter looked at me disgusted and said, "That's Carrie Underwood's song!" Now, I like Carrie Underwood just fine but this made me groan a bit. Give credit where credit is due. I had to educate her on 80s hair bands. Her response: "Mom, is that a girl or a boy singing?" with her nose wrinkled in disapproval. I could only shake my head. Those of us who grew up in the 80s are a breed of our own...no one else will ever understand.

Later, I overheard her singing, "One...twenty one guns..." Greenday? How does my daughter know Greenday? Then, "...It's gonna be a good night..." Black-Eyed Peas? OK she's seven! I don't play her this stuff! Are other 2nd graders really in to these bands? Its when she was singing, "...Apple-bottom jeans..." That's one we can't let slide.

I think I need to play her more "Bullfrogs and Butterflies."

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am laughing out loud! Amelia is the same way- she sings songs I do not know AT ALL :) Guess we are getting old huh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Bullfrogs and Butterflies!! :)) Thanks for bringing back that memory.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails