Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Look At My Garden!



Forgive me, but I had to do a blog entry just to show off my garden! I've been having a great time this year and have been learning a lot. My garden, which was a tangled, weeded, mess when we first moved here, gets better and better each year.
The only place I have to plant a garden is a sloped edge of the back yard that we had to clear of dead trees. So, once it was cleared, Dave built me a retaining wall and hauled in some nice soil and told me to make it nice. I decided to resort back to my childhood memories of my mother working in her vegetable garden. I revelled in the memory of going to the tomato patch with the hose and a salt shaker and gobbling up the sun-warmed, ripe, homegrown tomatoes. There is no other taste like that in the world. So, I was resolved to have vegetable garden that would make my mother proud.

The first year, I didn't realize tomatoes needed support, and that I should grow squashes away from cucumbers. I ended up with rotten tomatoes growing on the ground and cucumbers that looked like uglifruit. I lived and learned.

So, having practiced a couple of years, I have a garden that, even though it's not perfect, I'm very proud of. Here's some pictures of the process. Most things were started from seed in the house at the end of March.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yeah for you! It looks amazing and I can taste those garden tomatoes- they really are the best. Enjoy the fruit and vegetables of your labor :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails